- MR LAMB: Mind the apples!
DERRY: What? Who’s that? Who’s
MR LAMB: Lamb’s my name. Mind the
apples. Crab apples those are.
Windfalls in the long grass.
You could trip.
DERRY: I….there….I thought this was
an empty place. I didn’t know
there was anybody here….
- DERRY: [Panic] I’ve got to go.
MR LAMB: Not on my account. I don’t mind who comes into
the garden. The gate’s always open. Only you
climbed the garden wall.
DERRY: [Angry] You were watching me.
MR LAMB: I saw you. But the gate’s open. All welcome. You’re
welcome. I sit here. I like sitting.
- DERRY: I’d not come to steal anything.
MR LAMB: No, no. The young lads steal….scrump the apples.
You’re not so young.
DERRY: I just….wanted to come in. Into the garden.
MR LAMB: So you did. Here we are, then.
DERRY: You don’t know who I am.
- MR LAMB: You want me to ask….say so, then.
DERRY: I don’t like being with people. Any people.
MR LAMB: I should say….to look at it…. I should say, you
got burned in a fire.
- MR LAMB: It’s all relative. Beauty and the beast.
DERRY: What’s that supposed to mean?
MR LAMB: You tell me.
DERRY: You needn’t think they haven’t all told me that
fairy story before.
- MR LAMB: Ah, but do you care if you never kiss them.
MR LAMB: Girls. Pretty girls. Long hair and large eyes. People
DERRY: Who’d let me? Not one.
MR LAMB: Who can tell?
DERRY: I won’t ever look different. When I’m as old as
you, I’ll look the same. I’ll still only have half a
- DERRY: It’d have been trespassing.
MR LAMB: Ah. That’s not why.
DERRY: I don’t like being near people. When they
stare….when I see them being afraid of me.
MR LAMB: You could lock yourself up in a room and never
leave it. There was a man who did that.
- MR LAMB: You could tell me your name. If you chose. And
not, if you didn’t.
DERRY: Derry. Only it’s Derek….but I hate that. Derry. If
I’m your friend, you don’t have to be mine. I choose
Q. 1. Read the passage given below and answer the questions/complete the sentences that follow:
Sniffer dog Tucker uses his nose to help researchers find out why a killer whale population off the northwest coast of the United States is on tKe decline. He searches for whale faeces floating on the surface of the water, which are then collected for examination. He is one of the elite team of detection dogs used by scientists studying a number of species including right whales and killer whales.
Conservation canines are fast becoming indispensable tools for biologists according to Aimee Hurt, associate director and co-founder of Working Dogs for Conservation, based in Three Forks, Montana.
Over the last few years, though, so many new conservation dog projects have sprung up that Hurt can no longer keep track of them all. Her organization’s dogs and their handlers are fully booked to assist field researchers into 2012.
“Dogs have such a phenomenal sense of smell”, explained Sam Wasser, director of the Center for Conservation biology at the University of Washington in Seattle. He has worked with scat-detection dogs since 199(g). Scientists have been using Conservation Canines in their research since 199(g). These dogs have enabled them to non-invasively access vast amount of genetic and physiological information which is used to tackle conservation problems around the world. Such information has proved vital for determining the causes and consequences of human disturbances on wildlife as well as the actions needed to mitigate such impacts.
The ideal detection dog is extremely energetic with an excessive play drive. These dogs will happily work all • day long, motivated by the expectation of a ball game as a reward for sample detection. The obsessive, high energy personalities of detection dogs also make them difficult to maintain as pets. As a result, they frequently find themselves abandoned to animal shelters, facing euthanasia. The programme rescues these dogs and offers them a satisfying career in conservation research.
(a) According to the text there are a few________ detection dogs like Tucker.
(b) Tucker sniffs for whale________
(c) The dogs are special because they assist in research without ________
(d) The ideal detection dog ________
(e) The dogs expect________ as a reward of their hard work.
(f) ________of these dogs make it difficult to keep them as pets.
(g) These dogs find career in ________
(h) The word ‘euthanasia’ means ________
Q,2 Read the passage and answer the following questions given below:
Power foods are foods that provide rich levels of nutrients like fibre, potassium and minerals. With people becoming increasingly health conscious today, a lot of finess trainers encourage their clients to include these foods in their daily diet to increase muscle development. There are various ways of incorporating power foods in your daily diet. Of course, the key to enjoying power foods is proper preparation of these foods, the use of season-fresh foods, and indentifying your choice of flavour among power foods.
Some of the recommended power food combinations are those that are prepared in our kitchens on a regular basis. Take for instance, the combination of chickpeas and onions. This combination is a powerful source of iron which is required by the body to transport oxygen to its various parts. Iron deficiency can lead to anaemia, fatigue, brain fog and tiredness. A study by the Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry says that sulphur compounds in onion and garlic help in the absorption of iron and zinc from chickpeas. The combination is a hit with teenagers who need to be diligent about getting iron in their diet. A quick way to prepare this power food is to make a chickpea salad with chopped onions, chaat masala and cilantro
Another favourite combination with power food takers is yoghurt and bananas. This makes for a perfect snack after a rough game of football. Exercising bums glucose and thus lowers blood sugar. Yoghurt is packed with proteins that help preserve muscle mass, and bananas are packed with carbohydrates that help in refuelling energy and preventing muscle soreness. A quick and easy recipe with bananas is a banana smoothie topped with cool yoghurt.
(4) Among beverages, green tea is the best source of catechins that are effective in halting oxidative damage to cells. According to researchers at Purdue University, adding a dash of lemon juice to green tea makes the catechins even more easily absorbable by the body. So, the next time you have instead of are friends serve them rounds of iced green tea with mint and lemon juice.
(a) What are power foods?
(b) What are the rules regarding the partaking of power foods?
(c) What is the advantage of including onions and garlic in our diet?
(d) Suggest a quick recipe with chickpea and onions.
(e) Why is yogurt and bananas, and enriching power food?
(f) Why is green tea a recommended power food?
(g) . What is the advantage of combining green tea with lemon juice?
(h) What is the key to enjoying power foods in a wholesome way?
Q.3. Write a notice to inform the students about the Celebration of Eco-friendly Ganesh festival in your school
Q.4. Write an email to a friend describing your anguish over lockdown
Q.5. Write a report as your city received record rainfall
Answer The Following Questions:
- What is the theme of the poem?
- Why the poet didn’t want to help the boy?
- What is the message in the end?
- You are Naresh. You happened to go to Agra in a crowded bus on a hot summer day. Record your experience in the form of a diary entry.
- Today you visited your ancestral village and watched the farmers harvesting a crop of wheat. Make a diary entry describing your experience at the village.
- You were a member of a team of students campaigning against the spread of smoking in the village community. Make a diary entry describing your participation and success achieved in your mission.
- You recently visited the 24th Crafts Mela at Suraj Kund, Faridabad. It was Mini India assembled at one place. Using the hints, make a diary entry of what you saw and experienced there.
- You paid a visit to an ‘Old Home’ with other N.S.S. Volunteers. Using the hints given below together with your own ideas, make a diary entry of what you saw and experienced there.
E-mail Writing & Notice Writing:
- Write an e-mail to the principal of a neighbouring school informing her of
the event and requesting her to send a team to participate.
- You are the President of a children’s club in your locality.
You and your team are planning to organise a programme to celebrate
Write a notice, to be put up in the local Supermarket, giving details of the
programme to create an awareness of the event.
- Write an e-mail to the General Manager of the Supermarket seeking
permission to display the notice and requesting a sponsorship for the
- Your school is conducting an inter-class talent search. Write out a notice to
be put up in your school informing students about the event and inviting
them to participate.
- Write an e-mail to the Principal of a neighbouring school requesting him /
her to send a team of teachers to judge the event.
Questions for Practice:
- Write an email to the principal requesting to issue a studying certificate as needing it for a visa.
- Write an email to the editor of the newspaper requesting to publish article on growing crime in your area.
- Write an email to the Education Officer requesting to cancel board exams
Answer the following questions:
- How can a visit to Antarctica be an enlightening experience?
- Why is a visit to Antarctica important to realize the effect of global warming?
- How is Antarctica a crucial element in the debate on climate change?
- What was the objective of the ‘Students on Ice Programme’?
- Why is Antarctica and its understanding important for the survival of the world?
- How the programme, ‘Students on Ice’ was an attempt to equip future generation with knowledge to save Earth?
The Sample of a diary entry.
Enter in your diary about your experience when you helped someone in COVID 19 situation.
Enter in your diary about your opinion as you feel that people are careless and not following the instructions to avoid covid 19
Go through these links and revise the chapter
Answer the following questions:
Why did Lencho write a letter to god? Why did Lencho ask God for money?
How did the employees help Lencho?
Who does Lencho think has taken the rest of the money? What is the irony in the situation?
Do as Directed :
The only thing the earth needed was a downpour. [ Make it Negative]
Lencho had predicted, big drops of rain. [Change the voice]
The air was fresh and sweet. [ Make it complex]
The corn was totally destroyed. [ Change the voice]
It was nothing less than a letter to God. [ Make it Affirmative]
Q. Answer the following questions:
- The modern world is full of insecurity, fear, war, worry, and stress. What are the ways in which we attempt to overcome them?
- Do you see an intersection of time and space in the story?
- What do you think of the human tendency to constantly move between the past, the present, and the future?
Q. Answer the following questions:
- How can you identify the Asian lion and the Bengal Tiger?
- How can you distinguish between a tiger and a leopard?
- Describe a few characteristics of a chameleon.
- How does the poet describe the bear?